- •Significant inequity is observed in vaccine distribution and administration worldwide.
- •Delta variant dominance and waning vaccine efficacy against infection raise the question of a booster/adjuvant third dose.
- •General third dose administration in the developed world will limit vaccine access for first doses in the developing nations.
- •Cancer patients should be prioritized for a third dose, due to immune status defects and necessity to keep their treatments.
- •Ending this pandemic for all, including our cancer patients, is a global issue and must be addressed as such.
Booster and adjuvant doses
|Country||Percentage of population that has received 1st dose||Percentage of fully vaccinated population|
|Burundi||Not available||Not available|
|Central African Republic||5.2||0.2|
|Congo, Democratic Republic of||0.1||<0.1|
|Congo, Republic of||6.1||2.6|
|Eritrea||Not Available||Not Available|
|Sao Tome and Principe||35.2||13.0|
- Yeh T.Y.
- Contreras G.P.
- Niesen M.J.M.
- Anand P.
- Silvert E.
- et al.
Do we really need booster shots?
- Israel A.
- Merzon E.
- Schaffer A.A.
- et al.
Where does the oncology patient stand on this dilemma?
- Gounant V.
- Ferre V.M.
- Soussi G.
- et al.
- Ramanathan M.
- Murugesan K.
- Yang L.M.
- et al.
- Malagon T.
- Yong J.H.E.
- Tope P.
- Miller Jr., W.H.
- Franco E.L.
Predicted long-term impact of COVID-19 pandemic-related care delays on cancer incidence and mortality in Canada.
- Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 infections, including COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections, associated with large public gatherings — Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; : 1059-1062
- SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 Delta variant replication, sensitivity to neutralising antibodies and vaccine breakthrough.Nature. 2021; 599: 114-119
- Transmission dynamics and epidemiological characteristics of Delta variant infections in China.Merdxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.12.21261991
- Randomized trial of a third dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine in transplant recipients.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1244-1246
- Hospital admission and emergency care attendance risk for SARS-CoV-2 delta (B.1.617.2) compared with alpha (B.1.1.7) variants of concern: a cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021; (In press)https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00475-8
- The devil in the details: herd immunity and pandemic response.Cell Host Microbe. 2021; 29: 1048-1051
- Vaccine nationalism and the dynamics and control of SARS-CoV-2.Science. 2021; 373: eabj7364
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 suppresses SARS-CoV-2 delta variant and spike gene mutation frequencies and generates purifying selection pressure.Medrxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.08.21261768
- COVID-19 vaccines dampen genomic diversity of SARS-CoV-2: Unvaccinated patients exhibit more antigenic mutational variance.Merdxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.01.21259833
- SARS-CoV-2 mutational cascades and the risk of hyper-exponential growth.Microb Pathog. 2021; 161: 105237
- Rich countries should tithe their vaccines.Nature. 2021; 590: 529
- Profiteering from vaccine inequity: a crime against humanity?.BMJ. 2021; 374: n2027
- Joint Statement of the Multilateral Leaders Taskforce on Scaling COVID-19 Tools. A Crisis of Vaccine Inequity.(Available at)https://www.who.int/news/item/27-08-2021-joint-statement-of-the-multilateral-leaders-taskforce-on-scaling-covid-19-toolsDate accessed: November 7, 2021
- How the world is (not) handling surplus doses and expiring vaccines.BMJ. 2021; 374: n2062
- Elapsed time since BNT162b2 vaccine and risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a large cohort.MedRxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.03.21261496
- Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection among frontline workers before and during B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant predominance – eight U.S. locations, December 2020-August 2021.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 1167-1169
- Sustained effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines against COVID-19 associated hospitalizations among adults – United States, March-July 2021.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 1156-1162
- Antibody and T-cell immune responses following mRNA COVID-19 vaccination in patients with cancer.Cancer Cell. 2021; 39: 1034-1036
- Efficacy of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in thoracic cancer patients: a prospective study supporting a third dose in patients with minimal serologic response after two vaccine doses.Medrxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.12.21261806
- Responses to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination in patients with cancer (ReCOVer Study): a prospective cohort study of the hellenic cooperative oncology group.Cancers. 2021; 13: 4621
- Evaluation of seropositivity following BNT162b2 messenger RNA vaccination for SARS-CoV-2 in patients undergoing treatment for cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7: 1133-1140
- Serologic status and toxic effects of the SARS-CoV-2 BNT162b2 vaccine in patients undergoing treatment for cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7: 1507-1513
- Impaired immunogenicity of BNT162b2 anti-SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in patients treated for solid tumors.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 1053-1055
- High seroconversion rate but low antibody titers after two injections of BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) vaccine in patients treated with chemotherapy for solid cancers.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 1294-1295
- Immunogenicity of SARS-CoV-2 messenger RNA vaccines in patients with cancer.Cancer Cell. 2021; 39: 1091-1098.e2
- Seroconversion rates following COVID-19 vaccination among patients with cancer.Cancer Cell. 2021; 39: 1081-1090.e2
- Humoral and cellular immune responses in SARS-CoV-2 mRNA-vaccinated patients with cancer.Cancer Cell. 2021; 39: 1171-1172
- Cell-mediated and humoral immune response to 2-dose SARS-CoV2 mRNA vaccination in immunocompromised patient population.MedRxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.21.21260921
- Vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 in patients receiving chemotherapy, immunotherapy, or chemo-immunotherapy for solid tumors.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: S1283-S1346
- Adaptive immunity to SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination in cancer patients: the CAPTURE study.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: S1129-S1163
- Immune responses to two and three doses of the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine in adults with solid tumors.Nat Med. 2021; 27: 2002-2011
- Predicted long-term impact of COVID-19 pandemic-related care delays on cancer incidence and mortality in Canada.Medrxiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.04.03.21254871
On behalf of all the members of the Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology (HeSMO) and of the Hellenic Group of Young Oncologists (HeGYO).
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy